Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Melt my Heart...just the beginning

Just last week, I returned from a 2 week medical missions trip to Kampala, Uganda. It seems so cliche to say that it changed my life. But it did. I'm not sure how exactly to describe that change. But my heart melted. Time and time again.

I've never been one to blog and write down every detail of what happened on a trip - there's just too much to capture, and I've never been able to keep up with my own journal detailing a trip...so what I want to do here is to share and remember the moments that melted my heart. Many of them have long stories and backgrounds, some were just brief instances. But these are the memories that are going to live long in my heart.


I never learned this precious girl's name. She never said anything to me. We were touring a government hospital, conditions were not ideal. I'm not sure anyone in the States would be willing to accept health care from a hospital like this one - but it's what they have. As we were wrapping up our tour, we visited the pediatric outpatient clinic. A few of us had stopped to talk to a little girl who was wearing her best dress - it was beautiful and she was so proud of it. As we were talking to her, this little one climbed down from her chair, toddled down the stairs and toddled straight to me.

She never said a word. She just stood there by me. So I knelt down and asked her if I could give her a hug. She came closer and hugged me. When I let go of her, she toddled to the others and then just stared at us as we had to leave to catch up with the rest of our group. I just wanted to scoop her up and hold her longer.

Melted my heart.



No comments:

Post a Comment