Thursday, July 7, 2011

Brief Update

Tomorrow (ok, technically it's today...I'm up kinda late) is our LAST day of ministry in Quito!!! I can't believe it. This time has gone by SO fast! I have not been able to post frequent updates as we had to pay to use the internet. But after spending a week in a hotel, we're bound to figure out the secrets - and we found a spot where we can get FREE wifi. So I'm finally getting around to using it :)

I'll try to give a few updates about the last few weeks in tid-bits so the posts don't get too long - there's just so much to share!!

My team is amazing, no doubt about it. I know that God brought us all together for a specific purpose and that He hand-picked each member of the team. I didn't feel like I really knew the team until we made it to Ecuador and started our ministry days. When the students were working on learning the drama and spending time together we (LITs and leaders) had other things that needed to get done.

Our ministry days have consisted of performing a drama that is the story of the Gospel - from creation to Christ's death and resurrection. It's so fun to be on other side of the drama and watch the students perform every day. After the drama, someone from the team gets up and explains it and how it relates to the Gospel and then shares their own testimony (all through a translator).

Barrier of sin between the Toymaker (God) and His Son (Jesus) & the toys

Our wonderful clown :)



The other day we were at a park, working with a local church, and during the drama, my team leader came up to me and asked if I could explain the drama and give my testimony to the many school children gathered to watch. I only had about 5 minutes before the end of the drama, but I agreed. I started out talking in Spanish, but there were a few things I didn't know how to say and so the translator told me to just talk in English and she'd translate. By the end, I had what seemed like 30-40 kids pray to accept Jesus!! It was so fun! And then we passed out presents to all the kids who came - and we attempted to keep track of who received a gift by putting a stamp on their hand, but some kids were trying to be sneaky.

The kids watching the drama after they got out of school

Britt Nicole (a Christian singer/songwriter) came down for a few days and had a concert for us on Sunday. On Saturday her and her friend, Gabby, spent the day with our team. It was fun to get to know them both - they're such sweet girls.
Britt, Mattie, Delaney & Gabby


AND...I finally got my MORA ice cream :) I've had a lot of it - although I've only found Mora ice cream bars on one of our ministry days...but I've made several trips to Crepes & Waffles

My first (of two) Mora bars on our 2nd day :)

I'll update more later and include some fun stories! We only have 2 days left in Quito, then the teams switch up and my group heads to Otavalo for a week!


Also, we have a blog for the trip: www.neverthesameec.com - there are updates from the different teams (I'm on Team 1) and more pictures. So check it out!

Amy Lynn




No comments:

Post a Comment